Monday 26 September 2011

Research for Music Video: Analysis of my preferred Music Video.


I really like the music video of “Olly Murs” in “Heart skips a beat” because it uses creativity and imagination for the mise en scene like when they use the record for Olly Murs’s single. I like how these props help to bring the music video alive. 


When I first watched this music video, what really made me feel so excited were the wide usage of camera angles and the fantastic usage of editing. I really like how they grasped hold of the concept of fun and entertainment because we get small snippets of footages of people break dancing, skipping – basically enjoying themselves, staying true to the characteristics of this music video. 


According to Andrew Goodwin’s theory, this music video is an Amplification as the music video doesn’t contradict with the lyrics but adds another layer of interpretation. We get a lot of panning shot that suggests we are visually seeing the record player coming into life. This shot is also useful and essential as it covers the whole scene from foreground to the background. 


But what really impressed me about this music video was the editing. I really do love this music video for the editing because it’s shown as immaculate. For example when Olly Murs repeats the word “Skip, skip”, that scene is repeated twice to give you a feel of reliving that happy moment in time. In the beginning when he does say ‘Skip’, its repeated so many times is so many different shots and locations which I really loved because its not staying in one place al the time, its being shown through multiple of shots which I really love. 


We also get the editing of the scene being rewind and then played again which looks amazing. I also loved when the beats and the rhythm are increased where the footages are also increased so that it stays in time with the song. It really is very effective because everything is in sync, everything from the fast pace and the scenes coincide with each other perfect harmony. The editing feature of slow motion is used superbly like when the boy on the drums throws his drum sticks in the air it slowly comes back to his hand right on the beat. This music video has certainly inspired me to use these editing techniques when my group makes our own music video.



No comments:

Post a Comment